Applications due: Wednesday, September 21, 2022 at 11:59pm via CARAT
Churchill Scholarships provide funding toward a year of postgraduate study and research in the natural sciences, engineering, or mathematics at Churchill College, Cambridge.
Applicants must apply separately for admission to Cambridge University by mid-October. The Scholarship is tenable from nine to twelve months, in accordance with the academic program. Applicants must designate Churchill College as their first choice on the Cambridge application.
Applicants must be U.S. citizens and must be Harvard College graduating seniors or alumni within 12 months of graduating.
At least fourteen Churchill Scholarships are offered annually and is worth is worth between $50,000 and $60,000, depending on the exchange rate. It covers all University and College fees in addition to a living allowance, a travel allowance of up to $1,500, and reimbursement of the UK visa application fee and health surcharge. The Foundation also offers the possibility of a Special Research Grant of up to $2,000. This grant may cover travel for presentations at international conferences, short stays at another university or institute for special research, and other activities.
- Outstanding academic achievement, especially in the major, as indicated by course grades. The Foundation does not require a minimum GPA, but recent Churchill Scholars have had a GPA of at least 3.7 and usually have 3.9 or above.
- A capacity to contribute to the advancement of knowledge in the sciences, engineering, or mathematics by pursuing original, creative work at an advanced level as demonstrated by awards, prizes, research, and letters of recommendation. Applicants in the sciences and engineering will demonstrate extensive laboratory experience, internships, or other related work, while applicants in mathematics will show substantial independent work or other projects.
- Outstanding personal qualities. Understanding the time commitment required by research, the Churchill Foundation does not seek so-called ‘well rounded’ applicants; instead, it seeks applicants with what we call interesting ‘jagged edges.’ Nonetheless, it should be noted that successful applicants display a bewildering array of talents…outside of academic pursuits, especially in music, athletics, [and] social service, among other activities.
Outstanding recommendations only from individuals in the disciplines related to the application. If an applicant has done an NSF REU, an internship, or other analogous programs, it is assumed that at least one of the four letters will come from the director of that activity.
- Applications due: Wednesday, September 21, 2022 at 11:59pm
- Selection Committee meeting: late October
- National deadline (online application): Wednesday, November 2, 2022 at 5:00pm (ET) (receipt)